Re: [Aroid-l] black Anthurium

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] black Anthurium
  • From: Riley2362@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 09:38:02 EDT

Hi All,
I'm glad to know a species name on the "black Anthurium" of "A. cabrerense", thanks Lynn.  I have seen this plant growing at the nursery of Ecuagenera, in Ecuador and it does indeed grow in what orchid growers consider an "intermediate" house, not exceptionally cool (much as the temperature range that Ron gives), but not warm-growing like A. veitchii or A. warocqueanum.  It grows in bright (equatorial) light and very good humidity.  When I cultivate it in New York (non-equatorial) City light, I find that it likes some morning sun and ... very good humidity.  I think it was Betsy Feuerstein who told me to keep sphagnum moss up around the neck of the plant to welcome the new roots.  It likes a good roomy pot and when the plant starts to get "necky", I lift it up and cut off the bottom of the stem, then drop it back into the same pot with new moss around the top.  This seems to keep it happily in a state of growth that encourages and maintains good leaves.  Whereas it is always in flower in the nursery (and a few of the flowers are small, but Ecuagenera selects and exports only the plants with the HUGE flowers) - flowering in New York City is ... occasional.
Cheers - Michael Riley

Aroid-l mailing list