Re: [Aroid-l] black Anthurium

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] black Anthurium
  • From: Dan Levin levin@pixar.com
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 08:45:18 -0700

Dear Geoffrey et al,

From what little I know, the secret to growing Anth. cabrerense with relative ease
involves relocating to either the Columbian highlands or to San Francisco...

In the case of SF, A. cabrerense (as well as other Ecuagenera material) grows quite
well outdoors- enjoying our virtually constant cool, moist clime which is beset by frequent
air movement (as a result of the fog and marine influence). Temps here are pretty much
band-limited, ranging between 10º C / 20º C much of the year. Of note, the light is also
tempered in intensity as it filters through fog much of the time. Not sure if these represent
ideal conditions per se, but most of the local growers I know do well by this species.
I should mention that even here some winter protection must be made available, though
it hasn't been necessary to employ it the last few seasons.

As to growing medium... I use a very open single-inventory mix for most of my aroids:
small graded charcoal, pumice & a good quality shredded sphagnum. I've also seen
A. cabrerense growing very well in nothing but long-fibered sphagnum (Walter Teague).

As a "control" of sorts, I lost my first A. cabrerense plant (many years ago) by ignorantly
cultivating it in my heated greenhouse, where it languished and slowly declined. At the
time, it seemed utterly incongruous that a rare/ exotic Anthurium could actually survive,
let alone thrive outdoors in the garden amongst the sequoia, gunnera and lapegeria.