[Aroid-l] titanum to flower in Massachusetts

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] titanum to flower in Massachusetts
  • From: "Michael Marcotrigiano" mmarcotr@email.smith.edu
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 15:46:36 -0400

Our kind of small (40 lb) A. titanum is going to flower here at Smith College, in Northampton Mass. We are not planning a big event, nor to pollinate it, since it is pretty small. The flower bud is about 20 inches tall today, still very tight and the greenhouse and outdoor temps are very high.

I am going on vacation so may miss it but those in the area should feel free to email our Conservatory Manager Rob Nicholson,  rnichols@smith.edu   if you want to find out more. Any advice to Rob is welcome. I assume we will get a new leaf fairly soon if we don't pollinate it. I was hoping it would wait a few years until the tuber was 75 lbs or so, so we would get a mega bloom.

Michael Marcotrigiano
Director
Smith College Botanic Garden
Northampton, MA
www.smith.edu/garden

Michael Marcotrigiano, Ph.D
Smith College, Lyman Conservatory, College Lane
Northampton, MA 01063
email: mmarcotr@smith.edu
voice: 413-585-2741; fax: 413-585-2744
www.smith.edu/garden