RE: [Aroid-l] stabilization of large pots/answer?

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] stabilization of large pots/answer?
  • From: "Julius Boos" ju-bo@msn.com
  • Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2006 12:26:49 +0000

From : 	D. Scott Taylor <staylor@brevardparks.com>
Sent : Thursday, July 6, 2006 12:59 PM
To : Discussion of aroids <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>
Subject : [Aroid-l] stabilization of large pots

Hello Scott,

I have seen a method used in several nurseries around here in Florida a few years ago, it consisted of MANY pots sitting within the confines of large, square cement 'blocks', these blocks had no center, and were about 6-8 inches 'deep' and about 3" in wall thickness. The pots sat TIGHTLY within the confines of the block, their bottoms flat of the underlying surface, and the large, square undersurface of these concrete items (blocks?) provided much needed stability and prevented any tipping over. I THINK that there were larger pots and correspondingly larger blocks also involved, but my memory is not clear on this. I don`t know for certain where the concrete blocks were obtained, but I`d guess a search ot a concrete block supplier might just provide answers.
The rebar-pounded-through-pots method I have found only works short-time, as the soil within the pots is so loose that the rebar quickly works itself loose within the pot, and so may disturb the roots and tubers, etc.
I hope the above helps!

Good Growing

Julius

Good Morning: I was wondering if any of you enlightened growers have a simple remedy for the ongoing problem of my Amorphophallus pots in larger pots (7-20 gal) being prone to 'tipping' over once the large leaves develop. The plants are so top-heavy that anytime there is a strong breeze or even heavy rain, the pots tend to tip over, damaging the plants and spilling out soil/fertilizer. Short of driving a stake next to each pot and tying them off, I don't know what to do?
Thanks
dst

D. Scott Taylor, Ph.D.

Central Region Land Manager

Brevard County Environmentally Endangered Lands Program

5560 N. US 1

Melbourne, Florida 32940

V: 321.255.4466 FAX 321.255.4499

email: staylor@brevardparks.com