[Aroid-l] stabilization of large pots

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] stabilization of large pots
  • From: "D. Scott Taylor" staylor@brevardparks.com
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 08:59:55 -0400

Good Morning:  I was wondering if any of you enlightened growers have a simple remedy for the ongoing problem of my Amorphophallus pots in larger pots (7-20 gal) being prone to 'tipping' over once the large leaves develop.  The plants are so top-heavy that anytime there is a strong breeze or even heavy rain, the pots tend to tip over, damaging the plants and spilling out soil/fertilizer.  Short of driving a stake next to each pot and tying them off, I don't know what to do?

D. Scott Taylor, Ph.D.

Central Region Land Manager

Brevard County Environmentally Endangered Lands Program

5560 N. US 1

Melbourne, Florida 32940

V: 321.255.4466 FAX 321.255.4499

email: staylor@brevardparks.com