[Aroid-l] Philodendron adamantinum?

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Philodendron adamantinum?
  • From: a san juan kalim1998@yahoo.com
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 14:17:33 -0700 (PDT)

Several times over the years people have wondered about some of the rarer Meconostigma, like Philodendron adamantinum.

I bought a putative specimen of this species from Brian last year and it has grown a bit, and I'm at pains to know whether this is really the correct species.....I also found a pic of the adult form on the web.

I would also like to know whether the very large meconostigma that Dr. Croat mentioned from his trip to South America has ever been cultured (there was some talk about Ron (?) doing this):

"The trip back to the south was just as slow but since we knew what we were up against there was lessapprehension. Among the most interesting species collected was a huge Philodendron that was common in  the old leaf bases of a large palm tree. This species, which is probably new to science, is among  the largest species of Philodendron that I have ever seen with sinnuate leaf blades to 165 cm long. Because of the undulate margins I first considered  that it might be P. undulatum but that species has blades less than 80 cm long and interpetiolar squamulae up to 8 mm long whereas this unknown specieshas tiny scales 2 mm or less long and much larger  blades."
Aroid-l mailing list