[Aroid-l] Anthurium on Aroideana

Several of us are attempting to research an unusual Anthurium sp.  That aroid appeared on the cover of the 1989 issue of Aroideana, Volume 12, 1-4.  (see attached)  It is a most unusual Anthurium sp.  That photo was taken by renowned collector Dorothy Henkle (now deceased).  Little has been written (that I can find) regarding this plant other than this quote on the inside of the issue:  "Anthurium species (section Cardiolonchium) collected by Dorothy Henkle 1981 in central Colombia at 6,000 feet.  Leaf is six feet one inch long and almost dwarfs Jack Henkle.  Grown by Dorothy Henkle.  Photo by Dorothy Henkle."  Little else is known about the Henkle specimen and no one appears to know what happened to the rare plant, which may be an species unknown to science, after Dorothy's death.

As a member of section Cardiolonchium, the surface of the plant would be velvety in appearance.  Noted members of that section include  A. crystallinum  Linden & André, A. magnificum Linden, A. regale Linden and A. warocqueanum  J. Moore.  It is somewhat similar to specimens of Anthurium angamarcanum Sodiro and Anthurium marmoratum SodiroDr. Croat has indicated to those of us researching this plant those species are likely one and the same.  However, Dr. Ron Kaufmann has found an odd species in northern Ecuador which strongly resembles the Henkle plant.  He is currently calling it Anthurium marmoratum but appears to believe it is a new species.  (Correct me if I'm wrong Ron).  No one is certain if it is the same, or simply resembles her plant.

Dorothy moved to Hawaii and collectors there have acquired many of her specimens.  I'm in hopes someone there still has this specimen and can help us with additional photos.

If you ever saw this specimen in person and have photos, we'd love to hear from you as well!

If you were privileged to have seen this plant and have photos or information you are willing to share, I'd love to hear from you.  If you have any information at all about this specimen, I'd love to hear from you.  If you know where the plant now resides, I'd really love to hear from you!

We're especially interested in photos showing the vein structure, and spathe and spadix the plant may have produced, and any measurements you may have taken.  Obviously, this one grows much larger than similar species.  And don't worry, I'm not going to try to buy your plant if you have Dorothy's plant!   I won't even tell where it resides if you don't want that information made public.  I just want to learn more about the species.  We have some theories regarding the specimen but need more information to pursue learning if they are even remotely possible.

Thanks!

Steve Lucas