[Aroid-l] Anthurium on Aroideana

I received this response today in regard to my post for information on the rare anthurium on the cover of the 1989 Aroideana.  At least we now have a place to begin looking!

Steve Lucas

Noted your post on the SUJ. A division of this near-legendary plant is reportedly in a friend's collection in Queensland, Oz so it's still around but apparently not thriving. As Tom has, no doubt, indicated to you and you might have also seen from the plethora of "marmoratums" that the Portilla's offer, the angamarcanum-marmoratum deal is a mess. Clearly, all these new long-leaf Cardios from Colombia and Ecuador that have come into the commercial trade want a binomial, but the fact is that many are still undescribed. Apparently, Jim West's plants from northern Ecuador have been ID'd by Tom as angamarcanum, but I'm rather baffled by what key characters separate the different spp. in the complex.

One thing that I have noted about all the plants from this group is that they do get huge over time...I have about 20 plants from a grex that has an undescr. elongate-leaf Cardio as seed parent and "true" Colombian marmoratum as a pollen parent that generate 60 cm long leaves three years from seed with less than 10 cm of stem. I assume that they will attain immense dimensions three or four years hence.

Good luck and best regards,

Jay Vannini
Guatemala City, Guatemala