Re: [Aroid-l] A. titanum at Berkeley

I should add (and should have included earlier) links for the flowerings of A. titanum at the Botanical Garden of Bonn.  The posted graphs of the rate of growth of the inflorescence should be particularly useful for prediction of the time of flowering.  Here's the link:  http://botgart.uni-bonn.de/o_samm/eng_vers/amor_en.html

Brian

Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 15:43:47 -0500
To: Discussion of aroids <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>
From: Brian O'Brien <bobrien@gustavus.edu>
Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] A. titanum at Berkeley
Cc: bobrien@gac.edu

As one of those persons to whom Julius refers with regard to recent flowerings of A. titanum - yes, I agree that it looks like an inflorescence.  The bulging shape is an indicator; the leaf shoots are more conical.  Based on our plant, I would say, very roughly, that it has about three weeks to go.  For a better feel as to what the different stages look like, see my collection of aroid photos at my Flickr site, which contains numerous dated photos of the progress of the growth of our plant's inflorescence (the inflorescence began opening in late afternoon of May 12, and close to fully open (85%) about six hours later.  Here's the link:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/aeranthes/sets/72157594157213817/

Brian