Re: Alocasia zebrina reticulata

  • Subject: Re: Alocasia zebrina reticulata
  • From: "Denis" <denis@skg.com>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 16:23:28 -0400

Alocasia zebrina 'reticulata' was subsequently tissue cultured by
Oglesby Plant Labs in the 1980's to satisfy the small collector's market
for this unusual plant. Only about 1,000 to 1,500 plants were produced
at that time. You might could ask Plantsman Jim Georgusis who currently
is working at Oglesby Plants if he knows anymore about the origins of
this cultivar. I think he worked at Fantastic Gardens in the 1970's.

The plant is currently being produced in Tissue Culture at Agristarts,
Inc. in Apopka Florida.

The question is still open as to whether or not Alocasia zebrina is true
species described in the literature somewhere or just a sub variety of
Alocasia tigrina group.

Denis
Silver Krome Gardens, Inc.
Homestead Florida