The Wonders of Ethnic Foods

I was reminded of a story when I read the recent postings about dining in Kuching. Years ago I worked with a smart scientist who was studying for his PhD here in the US. He was from Indonesia, home to a host of ethnic enclaves. One holiday he decided to make a trip back home for a visit after being here for more than a year. His buddies back home decided to celebrate his arrival by arranging a special night out of fine dining. He was flattered, of course, but was taken aback when it turned out that the special dining experience was the local Kentucky Fried Chicken outlet. This was not a joke; his friends were perfectly sincere. There's some real ethnic dining for you! I guess you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone, as the song used to say.

Aroid-L mailing list