Philodendron unknown, probably a hybrid.

  • Subject: Philodendron unknown, probably a hybrid.
  • From: "ExoticRainforest" <Steve@exoticrainforest.com>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 09:15:43 -0500

Philodendron unknown, likely a hybrid.

Russ Hammer forwarded two photos of an odd Philodendron with spots along with this note:

"Hi Steve, here's an interesting question I've been asked by the owner of this Philo.  She bought it as 'Golden Dragon', probably from one of the Thai sellers on Ebay.  She asked me about the spots on the leaves in the 2nd and following photos.  She says the spots eventually disappear as the leaf matures, as in the first photo.  So she's assuming the spots are natural, but for what purpose.  Any comment?  Also, any idea what species this might really be?  Obviously Golden Dragon means zip."

The plant appears to be an adult so I've added the two photos to a blind link on my site.  Can all of you look at these and tell us if you recognize any features of this Philodendron?  It will be faster to see the photos on the link rather than try to download them at this size to your email boxes.  Both the upper lobes and the bottom lobe appear distinctive.

Do any of you recognize anything about this plant that could indicate one of the parents?  I suspect this is a hybrid but simply do not know.  Both the upper lobes as well as the lower lobe appears familiar.  The spots I've never seen.  If it is possibly a species would you let us know so Russ can tell the collector?  If anyone has any suggestion post it on Aroid l or you can email it to us at

Russ Hammer and Steve Lucas

Aroid-L mailing list