Re: One problem with IAS - Discussion Forums

  • Subject: Re: One problem with IAS - Discussion Forums
  • From: Susan B <honeybunny442@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 08:38:09 -0700 (PDT)

Quoted:  People have tried to start real discussion forums once in awhile (my own board, the current UBC board) but they all peter out and die sooner or later (or languish in a state of slow death), mostly because the regulars on Aroid-L tend to avoid them.

I would think your own example shows that people prefer an email list.

I do, this is why: I can read what I want on the list while checking my emails. If I go to a board, I have to find the website and open it, then look for new postings, then scroll through pages to get to the newest post, which is often off topic.
Dave's Garden is a good example of this.  Reading postings on a discussion forum takes probably 3X as long as reading on an email list.

I can also live without smilies.