Re: Intra-what--Structures on Mecon. Philo.'s rhizome

  • Subject: Re: Intra-what--Structures on Mecon. Philo.'s rhizome
  • From: brian lee <lbmkjm@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 18:18:34 -0700 (PDT)

Dear all,

Aloha.

I am sometimes guilty of assuming people understand the terms that are thrown about. I use intravaginal stipules and intravaginal squamules interchangeably...but the term squamule means small scale and when it comes to Philodendron mello-barretoanum...these structures are significant.  A taxononmist with the latest set of rules may be able to comment on this.

As far as medical afflictions go...there is a real danger of being cut badly by this species...which has sharp triangular intravaginal squamules that are floral dragon's teeth. They are about a half and inch long and very stout and stiff in my clone.

I should have also described these serpentine stems of Philodendron mello-barretoanum as vegetative anacondas versus pythons...since we are talking the Neotropics here.  Julius, I was certain you would have picked up on this herpetological faux pas.  I am glad to self-correct myself.  Please excuse my foray into dragon fantasia.  Julius,if the forum doesn't already know...is an amazing amateur herpetologist....among other things.  Just do not annoy him at work.

Aloha,

Leland