Ph. hastatum glaucophyllum

  • Subject: Ph. hastatum glaucophyllum
  • From: "Sherry Gates" <TheTropix@msn.com>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 01:28:50 -0500

glaucous

Somewhere along the line someone may have used this name as a distinction from other hastatum. I can see where that name could prevail over simply hastatum. Keeps it simple.

 According to the dictionary.....
glaucous

adjective
Definition:

1. covered in grayish powder: describes plants or fruit that are covered in a grayish, whitish, or bluish waxy or powdery substance

2. grayish green or blue: of a dull grayish green or blue color

[Late 17th century. < Latin glaucus "blue-gray, green" < Greek glaukos]