Re: Alocasias

  • Subject: Re: Alocasias
  • From: STARSELL@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 17:42:38 EDT

Dear Peter,
Thank you much for posting this!  I have two that I just
re-planted per your below Rx.
I knew they were alive but I had not seen much improvement
using the method I described, at least they were not continuing
to decline.
I don't know what happened to them.  All of my other Alocasias
are thriving.  One, a zebrina got knocked over and the stems
bent and would not straighten; the other a cuprea just randomly
began to droop until nothing was left but the tuber.
At least now I have some hope.  The pots do look funny though;
all that leaf litter.  But now I have real hope.
One question - about watering this.  Do you guess at it?  Feel
the loam to see if it is damp?  Go by the weight of the pot?
I wondered about leaving the loam only damp and moistening the
leaf litter on the top?