Re: Botanical Nomenclature

Hi Michael,

There most certainly is (are) several absolutes in Bot. Nom. There are a series of rules about valid and effective publication. This is not the place to go into a long explanation about the rules that govern taxonomists and systematists but for a flavour of what governs us take a look at: http://ibot.sav.sk/icbn/main.htm

Very best

From: aroid-l-bounces@gizmoworks.com [mailto:aroid-l-bounces@gizmoworks.com] On Behalf Of Riley2362@aol.com
Sent: 18 July 2009 01:10
To: aroid-l@gizmoworks.com
Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Botanical Nomenclature

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe there is anything such thing as an ABSOLUTE in botanical nomenclature.  So the use of the words "right, wrong, legal, illegal" are not really fitting.  Botanists publish infromation in order to have their work recognized by the scientific community and this lends "validation" to their work, so in the end, their names might be "recognized" or "accepted" as "more correct".  That is why data bases usually contain all publications, rather than a biased perspective that whoever compiled the database has ruled on the acceptance of any set of information.  Yes, it is confusing to horticulturists who just want to put a name on a plant label, but the history is informative to the evolution and classification of the plant material.  What is more important than a plant name would be an accession number that correlates to a time and place of collection.

Michael Riley

Can love help you live longer? Find out now.

Aroid-L mailing list