Re: Botanical Nomenclature

  • Subject: Re: Botanical Nomenclature
  • From: Riley2362@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 13:10:20 EDT

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe there is anything such thing as an ABSOLUTE in botanical nomenclature.  So the use of the words "right, wrong, legal, illegal" are not really fitting.  Botanists publish infromation in order to have their work recognized by the scientific community and this lends "validation" to their work, so in the end, their names might be "recognized" or "accepted" as "more correct".  That is why data bases usually contain all publications, rather than a biased perspective that whoever compiled the database has ruled on the acceptance of any set of information.  Yes, it is confusing to horticulturists who just want to put a name on a plant label, but the history is informative to the evolution and classification of the plant material.  What is more important than a plant name would be an accession number that correlates to a time and place of collection.
Michael Riley