Re: Aphis on Pistia from M. Kolaczewski

  • Subject: Re: Aphis on Pistia from M. Kolaczewski
  • From: Theodore Held <oppenhauser2001@gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 14:14:59 -0400

Thank you, Michael.

My beasts are definitely aphids. The thing I find interesting is that
Pistia would be the last plant I would choose to infest were I an
aphid. If you look closely, Pistia will be seen to be hairy. In fact
the epidermal hairs are so long and densely packed that I am surprised
that any aphids would be able to get their mouth parts near the juicy
bits. Maybe these aphids are specialized with long mouth parts? Maybe
they somehow burrow down so they can be near enough to sip? Maybe they
can extract fluids directly from the hairs? Gosh, I dunno.

Thanks again for the response,