Re: Aphids on Pistia

  • Subject: Re: Aphids on Pistia
  • From: "Christopher Rogers" <crogers@ecoanalysts.com>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 16:01:57 -0700

Hey, Ted!

Years ago I had a severe aphid infestation on my Pistia, Lemna and Spirodella. I went out and collected some Hydrometrids, or “water measurers” or “marsh treaders” if you prefer. These predatory insects did a great job of cleaning them out. I put three in the aquarium and in a month the aphids were gone and I had many more Hydrometrids. You will find them in Michigan walking on permanent water where there is heavy emergent vegetation and protection from waves. I have found them on large lakes in northern Montana where there are small protected inlets with lots of emergent vegetation and shade. I have also found them along quiet streams under overhanging banks.

Here are some links:

http://insects.ummz.lsa.umich.edu/~ethanbr/aim/sp/heteroptera/sp_hom_hydrometridae.html

http://www.umd.umich.edu/eic/aquatic_insecta/hemiptera/hydrometridae_family.htm

http://www.waterbugkey.vcsu.edu/php/familydetail.php?idnum=9&f=Hydrometridae&ls=adult

Cheers,

Christopher

D. Christopher Rogers

((,///////////=======<

EcoAnalysts, Inc.

1.530.383.4798

P.O. Box 4098

Davis, CA 95616

USA

ŸInvertebrate Taxonomy

ŸEndangered Species

ŸEcological Studies

ŸBioassessment

ŸInvasive Species

ŸPlankton

ŸPhycology

IDAHO ∙ CALIFORNIA ∙ MISSOURI ∙ PENNSYLVANIA ∙ ONTARIO

WWW.ECOANALYSTS.COM  ∙ ECO@ECOANALYSTS.COM