Re: Aphis on Pistia from M. Kolaczewski

  • Subject: Re: Aphis on Pistia from M. Kolaczewski
  • From: michael kolaczewski <mjkolaffhbc@sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 22:16:16 -0700 (PDT)

More often than not, my Planted aquariums get "infested" with Collembola.
 They are also known by the common name, Springtails. They look similar
to aphids. On the under side of their abdomen, is a "spring", hence their
name. They are small enough to live upon the surface of the water, or on the upper
surface of the leaves. I usually see them gathering on Anubias, Nelumbo, and Nymphaea
leaves.  You can check as to which one is in your tank, by moving your finger,
a pencil, or any other object, towards them. Springtails will jump off the leaves, or even
off the surface of the water!
If they jump, they are of course Springtails. If not, They could very well be Aphids.
there are several organic products, generally plant oils, people use in ponds
 to treat aphids on Aquatic plants.
I have never used these in an aquarium before, ( It is not recommended).
I employ skimmers in my aquariums, so eventually, the little guys get swept into the
filters, or the fish get them.
Michael Kolaczewski