Re: Does anyone know this Philodendron?

  • Subject: Re: Does anyone know this Philodendron?
  • From: ExoticRainforest <Steve@ExoticRainforest.com>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 22:32:16 -0500

Correct Marek.  The petioles which support each blade of Philodendron martianum are spongy to the touch.  They commonly possess a "C" shaped depression (sulcate or canaliculate) down the adaxial (upper) surface and since the petiole's are often swollen they likely store water or starches inside.  There are also sharp ridges that define the edges of the canal.

The plant in your photos appear to be those of a juvenile specimen.  The largest plant on my page is very large and is in the collection of Leland Miyano in Hawaii.  All the data on my page has also been checked by aroid botanist Marcus Nadruz and others but I'm always anxious to have any errors pointed out.

I've attached one of Leland's photos showing the size of the petioles of his plant.  I thought I had added this to the page but just found I left it off.  I'll add it later tonight.

Steve Lucas

I have photos of Philodendron martianum and it has swollen petioles