Re: Nancy Aroid Conference

  • Subject: Re: Nancy Aroid Conference
  • From: Deni Bown <denibown@googlemail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 17:07:26 +0100

I would like to endorse Peter's comments on the Xth International Aroid Conference in France.  Our hosts were so friendly and efficient, which made it such a relaxed, enjoyable few days, as well as such an extremely interesting event.

Since the last conference, in Malaysia in 2004, there have been many new developments in the family, including numerous new species and some new genera. The conference achieved exactly what any conference aims to achieve -  an overview of the recent and on-going work, a pointer for future work and concerns, and an opportunity to make personal contact with others who are actively involved.  And it was a truly international gathering, with scientists and horticulturists from many different countries - France, Germany, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Switzerland, Netherlands, UK, USA, Malaysia, Vietnam, Phillippines, India, China, Russia, Czech Republic, Brazil, Mexico, Turkey, Canada.  Not bad eh!

And those of us who hadn't been to Nancy before discovered a beautiful city with what must be Europe's finest plaza.  There, in the palatial town hall, we were invited to a banquet by the Mayor - a champagne reception then a superb four-course dinner and wines in exemplary French style.

I should also mention the field trip to the glorious Vosges mountains, first to the Lac de Retournemer where we saw Calla palustris and ex-aroid Acorus calamus in the wild, then to a splendid lunch in an alpine inn with yet more excellent French wine and local cuisine, followed by a visit to Haut Chitelet Alpine Botanical Garden.

Congratulations to the organisers who hopefully have recovered from all the hard work and are now basking in the satisfaction of a job well done!  I said it at the time but I'll say it again - sincere thanks to everyone who contributed their time, energy and expertise. It was an inspiring and memorable experience.  I can't wait for the next!

Deni Bown