Re : Death of Julius Boos

  • Subject: Re : Death of Julius Boos
  • From: michael kolaczewski <mjkolaffhbc@sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 21:25:05 -0700 (PDT)

   I never had the pleasure to met either Tricia or Julius. However,
after joining IAS, and reading the journals, newsletters, and participating
in the Aroid-L forum, it is obvious that I was among special people.
Several years ago, I was speaking at a local community college, to
budding horticulture students. I was asked how you gained experience
and knowledge in this field.
    I told the people assembled, that your classroom education,
was just  the beginning of your assembling a body of work ( or knowledge).
Getting out into the world, and actually practicing your craft was another chapter
in your career.
I also said that  some of us are lucky enough to have a mentor, and that
we find ourselves standing upon the shoulders of others. In the realm of
 horticulture, there are those who have blazed a trail, who have taken the time,
or experienced failure, and after a time coupled with success, figured out the
mechanism of how something grows, or  how a seed germinates,
and  how to propagate the plant, that many said could not be propagated.
As I read Julius' writings, listened to his booming voice on those incredible recordings,
and digested his thoughts and words, it was apparent to me, that here
was one of those gifted people, whom we all have been enriched by.
I mourn his passing, and rejoice in his beginning a new adventure beyond this world.
To me, he is a friend I never had the chance to meet.
Michael Kolaczewski