Re: Fwd: Small philo from Brian Williams, he got it from you.

  • Subject: Re: Fwd: Small philo from Brian Williams, he got it from you.
  • From: Christopher Rogers <branchiopod@gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 09:45:09 -0500

Knowing Banta it could be an amazing hybrid or mutation that he created.

Grins,
Christopher

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 6:03 PM, ExoticRainforest <Steve@exoticrainforest.com> wrote:
Another apparently unknown Philodendron.

I received this small Philodendron from Brian Williams almost exactly two years ago.  Brian tells me he acquired it from John Banta.

I'm trying to learn anything possible about this Philo so if you have grown it or have seen the inflorescence (especially if you have a
photo) I'd love all the info possible.   The petiole is terete near the apex (top) but there are are striations on the flattened adaxial
surface near the base, the blades have not grown larger than 8 inches and the petioles are around double the length
of the blade.  The widest point on the blade is barely 1 inch.  The young blades emerge from a petiolar sheath but there are also
cataphylls visible in the photos.  The plant appears to grow as a clumping form but I have no idea if it is an epiphyte or terrestrial.

Unless this is simply a very slow grower this one may also qualify as one of the smallest Philodendron species known.  I have zero
collection data but would like to know where it originated.

For size comparison, the pot is 8 inches across.

If you have it or know anything about it please post the information here.

Thanks!

Steve Lucas
www.ExoticRainforest.com

--
D. Christopher Rogers

Associate Editor, Journal of Crustacean Biology

Vice President, Southwest Association of Freshwater Invertebrate Taxonomists SAFIT.ORG