Re: Flora of China Araceae on line

  • Subject: Re: Flora of China Araceae on line
  • From: "Tony Avent" <tony@plantdelights.com>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 07:50:10 -0400

Thanks for the notification of the FOC Aroid treatment, which represents a huge amount of hard work...we all thank the authors.  Now, the questions begin.
Why was Colocasia antiquorum raised to species status from C. esculenta...I've always been troubled by it being lumped with C. esculenta.  Also curious about the subsuming of C. heterochroma into C. fallax.  I see this also as logical, but am curious to hear more about what led to these changes.  Also, the window of flowering time for Colocasia gigantea seems a bit short/early at April-June.
I'm glad to see the return of Sauromatum venosum, but can you talk more about the move of Typhonium giganteum (which does seem more sauromatum-like), and the other species that moved from typhonium to sauromatum.
Thoughts?  Thanks.
Tony Avent
Plant Delights Nursery @
Juniper Level Botanic Garden
9241 Sauls Road
Raleigh, North Carolina  27603  USA
Minimum Winter Temps 0-5 F
Maximum Summer Temps 95-105F
USDA Hardiness Zone 7b
email tony@plantdelights.com
website  http://www.plantdelights.com
phone 919 772-4794
fax  919 772-4752
"I consider every plant hardy until I have killed it myself...at least three times" - Avent