Re: Cultivation of Dracunculus vulgaris

  • Subject: Re: Cultivation of Dracunculus vulgaris
  • From: paulindr@gmail.com
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2013 22:43:26 +0000

Hi!  I lived in Basingstoke (UK) so had cold (sub zero) winters, warm but not hot summers. Some years it rained a lot and others were dry.  My soil was fairly neutral and nothing special, though not inclined to be muddy.  The grow site was in full sun with literally no overhanging plants or other shade.

I grew starting from one Druculculus. I inadvertently covered the plants with grass (lawn) one year (and the grass stayed thereafter).  Before grass there was bare soil, no mulch.

My plants started sprouting in mid-spring and died down in late summer.

From the initial plant, which started well without apparent shock going from shop to garden, I ended up with 60 in just 3 years (I gave them all away to growers in London).  I did get viable seed without any human intervention and some germinated, though I gave these seedlings little attentions as I really didn't need more plants (at the time)!!!  So to me, this is a not very fussy plant and is fairly indestructible.  (Regretably, I emigrated to the Dominican Republic without plants and where plants would thrive but are unavailable!!!)

Aroid-L mailing list