Re: Cultivation of Dracunculus vulgaris

  • Subject: Re: Cultivation of Dracunculus vulgaris
  • From: Tony Avent <Tony@plantdelights.com>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2013 16:18:59 -0400

David:

In the wilds of Crete, Dracunculus grow in the most brutal of climates...full baking sun, excessive heat, and in very dry soils.  Occasionally, you will find them growing in shade as well.  Dracunculus vulgaris hate being in containers...especially small ones, for very long and will almost always rot there. In the garden, they must be planted where they will stay fairly dry in winter.  Larger shrubs/perennials that help keep the soil dry are great.  You can see photos of them in situ in our trip diary at http://www.plantdelights.com/Crete/departments/570/

Tony Avent
Plant Delights Nursery @
Juniper Level Botanic Garden
9241 Sauls Road
Raleigh, North Carolina  27603  USA
Minimum Winter Temps 0-5 F
Maximum Summer Temps 95-105F
USDA Hardiness Zone 7b
email tony@plantdelights.com
website  http://www.plantdelights.com
phone 919 772-4794
fax  919 772-4752
"I consider every plant hardy until I have killed it myself...at least three times" - Avent