Re: Cultivation of Dracunculus vulgaris

  • Subject: Re: Cultivation of Dracunculus vulgaris
  • From: Steve Marak <samarak@gizmoworks.com>
  • Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2013 15:14:30 -0500

I'll add my two cents. I've grown D. vulgaris outdoors here in NW Arkansas for almost 30 years now, acquired locally from people who had grown them here for at least 40 years before that.

Mine put up leaves usually in February, sometimes early March, far earlier than I think they should, but don't seem to be bothered by frosts down into the 20 F/-7 C range. They flower in early to mid-June, and are making seed now. They will tolerate a fair amount of shade but seem happiest in half-day sun. Some get a little irrigation, just because they are near other things that must have it, but there are also some that survived the extreme drought and heat (in excess of 110 F/44 C at times, no rain for at least 8 weeks) last year with no supplemental water and seem no worse for it this year (they flowered and are setting seed too). The soil is former cow pasture and probably slightly alkaline, but I've never checked the pH.

They will probably be in full dormancy around the end of August, maybe a little sooner if there isn't much rain.