Re: Cultivation of Dracunculus vulgaris

  • Subject: Re: Cultivation of Dracunculus vulgaris
  • From: Sheldon Hatheway <sfhatheway@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2013 12:39:45 -0700 (PDT)

I've grown Dracunculus v. for about 40 years here in Canby, Oregon, USA, zone 7B or 8 (depending on whatever).  Our winters vary from cool and wet to cold and wet.  One winter it got down to 7 deg. F.  In all of this, I've done nothing to (or for) them.  Leave them in the ground all year.  No fertilizer.  No sprays.  Nothing.  They are growing under a Japanese maple so they get filtered sunlight all day and they get some water when the irrigation comes on 3 times a week during the summer.  They emerge in early Spring, flower in mid-summer, and die back in the Fall.  I should probably divide them because they've been in this particular location for about 15 years and the individual plants are not as large or as vigorous as they used to be.  They seem to do well for me if I just ignore them.

Sheldon Hatheway
Canby, Oregon USA