RE: Unknown132 (fwd)

Date: Tue, 1 Jul 1997 08:33:47 -0500
From: Eduardo <eggon@guarany.cpd.unb.br>
To: aroid-owner@mobot.org
Subject: Unknown132

I=B4d like to try the ID of the unknown aroid No.132, from Steve Marak. In
my opinion, it=B4s a Xanthosoma violaceum Schott from Central America.
It=B4s cultivated all over the (third) word because its tubers and leaves
are edible. In Brazil, we call it `Inhame-roxo` and it is widely used
for ornamental purposes here in Brasilia. By the way, they must be
blooming right now here.=20

I hope it helps,

Eduardo.<<

Dear Friends,
I agree with Eduardo; I have this exact plant grown from commercially bought
corms from a local Jamaican grocery as "red co-co"; it probably should be
called X. violacium untill a review of the Genus Xanthosoma is done.  There is
another var. of Xanthosoma here in W.P.B. that is MUCH blacker (no, not a
Colocasia, it`s a Xanthosoma !) which I supplied to the Nat. Zoo for their
"Amazon" exibit.
Julius         ju-bo@msn.com