RE: amorphophallus campanulatus and arum campanulatum

From: on behalf of Carlo A. Balistrieri
Sent: 	Friday, July 25, 1997 8:17 PM
To: 	Julius Boos
Subject: 	Re: amorphophallus campanulatus and arum campanulatum

>"Arum": this had something to do with Mozes' brother Aaron, isn't it?
> I guess some other aroidellers know more. Bud in people!

>>Stearn says it's from the Greek "aron" for the poisonous (?) plants related
to Arisaema.

Carlo A. Balistrieri, J.D.        Email:
P.O. Box 327
Ashippun, WI 53003-0327
Voice:     414.569.1902  Telefax: same number, please call ahead.<<

In reguards to the above, Dan Nicolson says "Arum --   Linnaeus (n.): Latin
form of a classical Greek name, aron. (Aroideana Vol. 10, No.3, Oct. 1987,
"Derivation of Ariod Generic Names", pg.15.)
Peter Boyce suggests looking at "Prime, C. T. (1960).   Lords and ladies.
Collins, London.", as he says-- "Numerous theories have been put forward as to
the meaning of the word (Prime, 1960)."

Julius Boos