Re: Southern toad in potted Xanthosoma sagittifolium 'malanga' (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 15:43:25 -0500
From: Eduardo Gon=E7alves <>
Subject: Re: Southern toad in potted Xanthosoma sagittifolium 'malanga'

This message was submitted by "Eduardo Gon=E7alves" <> to=
 list If you forward it back to the list, it will be distribut=
without the paragraphs above the dashed line. You may edit the Subject: lin=
and the text of the message before forwarding it back.

If you edit the messages you receive into a digest, you will need to remove
these paragraphs and the dashed line before mailing the result to the list.
Finally, if you need more information from the author of this message, you
should be able to do so by simply replying to this note.

----------------------- Message requiring your approval -------------------=
Sender: "Eduardo Gon=E7alves" <>

Hi Judy,

   "Your" toad isnt laying eggs. They just do it in couples, because=20
they have external fertilization. Probably your toad is enjoying the=20
moisture of the substrate and getting some hydration. Dont you worry=20
about sulphered tadpoles. You wont be considered guilty of anphibian=20

Best wishes,

>Hi Aroiders,
>On June 11 1998 I bought a Xanthosoma sagittifolium 'malanga' corm. I
>planted it directly in the ground out doors. A couple weeks later I
>noticed the top stopped growing. I noticed what appeared to be tunnels
>dug around the malanga. After I pulled up the corm I noticed the entire
>bottom half had been eaten off. There are a few moles and voles around.
>I dipped the corm in sulfur and potted it up. Just this past weekend I
>noticed a Southern Toad in the pot with the malanga. The toad appeared
>to be laying eggs. Its body was half buried in the pot for two full=20
>without moving. The foliage of the malanga has started growing again in
>this tiny 6 inch pot.
>My question is how long does it take toad eggs to hatch? Do these eggs
>need constant moisture before they hatch? Will the sulfur hurt the toad
>Judy Bauer
>Concord NC
>US plant zone 7

Get Your Private, Free Email at