Re: Monstera Fruit

-----Original Message-----
From: StellrJ@aol.com <StellrJ@aol.com>
Date: Monday, July 12, 1999 12:29 AM
Subject: Monstera Fruit

>>Today, I was in the food co-op on the east side of Olympia, Washington.
was the last place I ever expected to see Mostera deliciosa fruits, but
they were--the name translated to "Delicious Monster Fruit."  Well, since
this is a fruit I have long daydreamed of one day tasting, I "seized the
and bought one, even though, at $5.45 each, they were more than I would
normally shell out for produce.

Attached to each fruit with a rubber band were instructions from the grower
(an organic farm in Florida) on how to use the fruit.  They said to put the
fruit in an empty jar, stem end up, and wait for the green scales to fall
and reveal a white core.  Twice they pointed out that this must happen on
fruits own accord, without human help (presumably because of calcium
oxalate).  Well, I have followed those instructions, and the fruit sits in
its jar on a shelf in my bedroom.  Does anyone else have experience with
fruit, to tell me if there is anything else I need to do?  At that price, I
cannot afford to let it go to waste.<

Try wrapping the entire thing loosly in plastic wrap ('Saran Wrap'), but
loose enough for you to see when the 'scales' begin to loosen at the stem
end (this begins at that end), unwrap, and enjoy!   The flesh should be a
shiny cream/white as the scales come off, but fruit MAY have been picked too
'green', let us know how it turns out!   Very interesting
taste/texture/flavor!!   Look out for a few LARGE seed (1/2-3/4") and sow
any you find, they grow beautifully!
Good luck--