Re: Monstera Fruit

Here in South Florida they grow quite well.  I have an area landscaped with
them and right now they are in their "fruit" producing mode.  The one bad
thing about them is that when they ripen, many of them will ripen at the same
time giving off a sickening sweet aroma.  Sometimes there are too many of
them and so I have begun using them to feed my large specimens of ferns.  The
fruit decomposes  and the ferns don't seem to mind. I have not noticed any
appreciable differences in the growth of the plants because they are always
being fertilized with other nutrients, but why let good organic material go
to waste?.

I do occasionally nibble on the Monstera fruit, and have noticed that the
taste is a cross between pineapple and banana.  If you make a cross section
of the fruit, you will notice that it looks like a pineapple.  Enjoy your
fruit anyway you like.  A neighbor made sorbet and a marmalade out of some of
mine.  This summer I will experiment with a Monstera Daiquiri.

Reggie Whitehead
South Miami, Florida