Re: Amorph. titanum at Huntington BG

Al,

I think they got their dormant tuber from Mark Dimmitt this last spring. It
was not grown at the Huntington. It is not the first flowering outside, nor
was it grown outdoors. Both of our plants were displayed outdoors (but grown
in a greenhouse) and Fairchild had theirs on display in the Rare Plant House,
which I believe has only shade cloth overhead, so Fairchild's was probably
the first outdoor flowering in this country. However, it is all too easy to
claim being the first at something and once the press gets hold of it, there
is no way to correct the mistake.

Donna Atwood
Selby Gardens

<<
 Last time I was at the Huntington, last December, I sought out aroids
 but wasn't able to find Amorphophalli.  I gather that the A. titanum
 usually resides in a research greenhouse, off limits to the public?
 Surely it doesn't sit in a columned courtyard most of the time.

 Clear skies,
 Al >>