Directions for those attending VIII International Aroid Conferen

 The following are some directions for those of you who are attending the
 VIII International Aroid Conference August 8-11, 1999.

1.  From Lambert International Airport to the Missouri Botanical Garden

Board the train at either the main terminal or the East terminal (trains
depart every 30-7 minutes).  The metro at the main terminal is located on
the upper level  at the east end of the terminal.  Take the metro to the
Central West End station and depart.  If you are staying at the
BestWestern Inn at the Park is right across the street from this station.
If you are coming directly to the Garden board the bus at the Central West
End station which goes to the Missouri Botanical Garden.  It is labeled
Missouri Botanical Garden and is called the Bloomer Zoomer (Bus #13).  This
is a shuttle bus painted bright floral colors; it departs every 20-10
minutes.  The Bloomer Zoomer will drop passengers off at the Ridgway Center
in the Garden which is the main gate of the Garden.  As a participant in
the Aroid Conference or the International Botanical Congress you do not
have to pay admission to the garden.  When you arrive at the main desk in
the Ridgway Center either tell them that you are a participant or have them
call me at 169.  Outside calls to my Missouri Botanical Garden office
should be made to 577-5163.  If you need to reach me at home in the evening
call me at (314) 271-5666.

DRIVING (if renting a car)
Exiting the airport will put you on Interstate 70 East.  Stay in the right
lanes and take the 170 South exit.  Follow this road until Interstate 40,
go East.  Take I-40 to Kingshighway South.  Turn right.  Follow this to
Vandeventer Ave, turn left.  Follow this road until you see the Monsanto
Research Center on your left.  Turn right at this intersection onto Shaw
Blv.  Go 1 1/2 blocks, the garden will be on your right.  Visitor parking
is available on either side of the entrance drive.

2.  From Lambert Airport to Tom Croat's house.

Exiting airport take I-70 West for a few miles then take I-270 South for
about 17 miles to I-44 West.  Take I-44 West toward Eureka, Springfield &
Tulsa until you come to the Allenton Six Flags exit (Exit 261).  This is
one exit past the Eureka exit.  Exit and turn left under I-44, then take
the first right onto Old  Historic Route 66.  You will be traveling
southwest about two miles.  You will pass by a KOA campground on the right,
over a railroad viaduct, over a small hill then past a series of businesses
on the right,  finally the Missouri Correctional Institute on the right.
Turn right at Hillview Drive and go 1 mile to the top of the hill.  My
place is on the right at the end of the road just where the blacktop ends.
Park along both sides of the road near the end of the black top road.  I
would like to encourage anyone who is driving to let me know where they are
lodged and to offer to take others out to Valle Escondido.  For those of
you who are in need of transportation to my party on Sunday please let me
know where you are staying so that I can put you in touch with those who
might be able to transport you out and back .

3.  From St. Louis to Tom Croat's house.

If you are coming from the city take I-44 west and continue beyond 270 and
follow the same directions as above.  We have been keeping track of those
of you who have announced that you are planning to come to my party on
Sunday but if you have not told us of your plans please do so right away
since we have to inform the caterers of the number of people and I have to
pay based on that number so we would like to keep the number as accurate as

 We will have a registration desk out at Valle Escondido on Sunday so that
 we will be able to get most of the registration out of the way.   The
 balance will have to be registered on Monday morning.