Astronomy meets Amorphophallus titanum

Hello Jane, and other aroiders...

An internal email at the IPAC infrared data center, Caltech, reveals
that the extremely sensitive infrared camera which will be used on the
Space Infrared Telescope Facility (SIRTF), to be launched into a stationary
orbit at the moon's distance next year, will be used to measure
temperature fluctuations in our favorite flower.

SIRTF will be loaning them our a new infrared camera to install as part of the
exhibit through the weekend.  The staff wish to record the temperature
changes over the next three days.  Moreover, IPAC will be installing a
monitor so that the public can view the plant in the infrared and witness
the relative changes for themselves.  Crowds of 10,000 a day are expected
during this event.

(N.B. For more info on SIRTF visit http://sirtf.caltech.edu/)

Clear skies,
Al
| Alwyn  Wootten   (http://www.cv.nrao.edu/~awootten/)	 |
| Project Scientist, The Millimeter Array                |
| Astronomer, National Radio Astronomy Observatory       |
| 520 Edgemont Road, Charlottesville, VA 22903-2475, USA |
| (804)-296-0329 voice Help us build The Millimeter Array|
| (804)-296-0278 FAX           {>    {>    {>    {>      |