Re: Amorph. titanum at Huntington BG

Dewey et al.,

>We are trying to trace the seed that you planted...  Can you tell us where
>you got it?  Would appreciate any info that you give.

I received 3 seeds from Palmengarten's index seminum in 1993; at least I
assumed they were seeds.  Kathy Musial of HBG received a broken-English
email from them to the effect that they distributed tissue-cultured
bulblets. Here is my reply to Kathy:

I assumed they were seeds, but I confess I don't know what Amorphophallus
seeds look like.  They were all the same size, about 4 cm ovoids if I
remember correctly. There was no pulp but I assumed they had cleaned the
seeds. Though they began to sprout within a couple of weeks, it  took a full
year for the first leaf of each to mature and the second to begin, after
which time growth was exponential.

They behaved like different clones too.  Of the two I've had for the last
six years, one stopped dividing early on and raced to become the giant
specimen you now have. The other plant, grown beside the first, is still
dividing into 2 or 3 tubers each growth cycle and the one I still have
weighs only a couple of pounds compared to your 37-pounder.

If they are the same clone, I wonder if we could tell by comparing the
markings on the petiole?  The several A. paeoniifolius I've had over the
years showed quite a bit of pattern variation.

I guess the best solution to getting an answer would be to find someone to
query Palmengarten in German. (Kathy is doing that.)

Mark Dimmitt        Tucson, Arizona USA
Business e-mail: mdimmitt@desertmuseum.org