Re: Amorph. titanum at Huntington BG

Tissue cultured Amorphophallus would look like tiny dormant tubers not an
ovoid seed.  They would be rough coated not smooth.

At 01:34 PM 7/30/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Dewey et al.,
>>We are trying to trace the seed that you planted...  Can you tell us where
>>you got it?  Would appreciate any info that you give.
>I received 3 seeds from Palmengarten's index seminum in 1993; at least I
>assumed they were seeds.  Kathy Musial of HBG received a broken-English
>email from them to the effect that they distributed tissue-cultured
>bulblets. Here is my reply to Kathy:
>I assumed they were seeds, but I confess I don't know what Amorphophallus
>seeds look like.  They were all the same size, about 4 cm ovoids if I
>remember correctly. There was no pulp but I assumed they had cleaned the
>seeds. Though they began to sprout within a couple of weeks, it  took a full
>year for the first leaf of each to mature and the second to begin, after
>which time growth was exponential.
>They behaved like different clones too.  Of the two I've had for the last
>six years, one stopped dividing early on and raced to become the giant
>specimen you now have. The other plant, grown beside the first, is still
>dividing into 2 or 3 tubers each growth cycle and the one I still have
>weighs only a couple of pounds compared to your 37-pounder.
>If they are the same clone, I wonder if we could tell by comparing the
>markings on the petiole?  The several A. paeoniifolius I've had over the
>years showed quite a bit of pattern variation.
>I guess the best solution to getting an answer would be to find someone to
>query Palmengarten in German. (Kathy is doing that.)
>Mark Dimmitt        Tucson, Arizona USA
>Business e-mail: mdimmitt@desertmuseum.org
Michael Marcotrigiano (email:  marcotrigiano@pssci.umass.edu)
Rm 211 French Hall
Dept. of Plant and Soil Sciences
Univ of Massachusetts
Amherst, MA 01003  USA
voice: 413-545-5227
fax: 413-545-3075 att: Michael Marcotrigiano