Re: coconut fiber

Another experience with coir-based media -UGH!!!  I used some last year when
I couldn't get my usual mix ("Citrus mix") and lost more gingers during the
season than I ever have before. Granted I did not modify my watering system,
so must take part of the blame (but there are only 30 or so hours in most
days), but it did all of the sludge forming that Dewey mentioned, losing all
aeration. Anyway all my globbas, curcumas and various smaller genera hated
the stuff, and those that survived were essentailly frozen in time as far as
growth went - same size rhizomes in November that went in in April.  If you
use it be prepared to check your watering very very carefully.
Derek Burch