Re: Re: coconut fiber

I must throw in my two cents and agree VERY STRONGLY with Dewey.  I once
made the mistake of potting up dozens of plants with coconut fiber as a
major component of the soil mix.  There is no doubt in my mind that this
stuff breaks down into wretched sludge faster than anything else I have
ever seen.

I have read some of the emails of others using this product with success
and I am amazed!  In my own experience the only thing coconut fiber is good
for is suffocating roots...I would not even risk it...its not worth it.

(P.S. Please note....there are 2!! different kinds of coconut fiber sold
commercially and they donít react the same.  One kind is sold in long
coarse strands and looks much like a horses mane, the other is usually sold
in bricks and resembles peat moss.  The one that looks like a horses mane
is very "dry" and resists absorbing moister, the other holds lots of water.
The "horses mane" type breaks down much slower than the brick kind, but
they both eventually turn to "mush".)

Marc Burack

> Be very careful of Coconut fiber!!!!!!  After about six or eight months the
top can look great....  but just below the surface.... the media has turned
to mush....  it disintergrates like you would not believe!  Now, this might
just be in the climate here in South Florida....  But, I had a lot of
rotted roots because of it.....Years ago, I tried it....  Now, would not
touch it with a ten foot pole.....  even one that was twelve foot!!!