Re: identity of the dwarf Monstera deliciosa

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: identity of the dwarf Monstera deliciosa
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@email.msn.com>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2000 17:06:38 -0500 (CDT)

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Boyce <Boyce@pothos.demon.co.uk>
To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
Date: Saturday, June 03, 2000 10:56 AM

Dear Friends,

I am trying to get this 'dwarf Monstera deliciosa' item clear in my
brain---are we saying that there are NO plants that look VERY simular to the
'giant' Monstera deliciosa that are collections of a smaller, 'dwarf'  form
of this giant plant from Mexico (and Guatemala??).   There are small plants
around with leaves about 10" or so across that are called M. deliciosa, one
form has white stripes/varigations on its leaves, the other is plain green.
>From waht I recall these smaller plants do not have as many splits and
fenestrations ('windows') in their leaf blades.   I believe that these were
discussed on this L some time ago, and the opinion then was that these were
a newer collection than the old, giant form of M. deliciosa, and that maybe
they were  from Guatemala???    SO---we are concluding that there is only
the original GIANT form of M. deliciosa from Mexico, and that the smaller
plants that LOOK simular in shape and form, but are more 'viney' than this
giant plant, all of these plants are in fact  Raphidophora tertasperma from

Have a great trip, Pete, and we look forward to hearing from you on your

>Hi Donna

In Monstereae, Monstera is the only genus lacking endosperm (although
endosperm is spase in Rhodospatha and Scindapsus and we don't know what the
seeds of Alloschemone are like). In the Mosteroideae endosperm is absent in
Anadendrum and Heteropsis (Anandendreae and Heteropsideae).

Off to Leiden to attend a Biogeography conference later today - back next

How're things with you?

All the best