Re: identity of the dwarf Monstera deliciosa

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: identity of the dwarf Monstera deliciosa
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@email.msn.com>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 16:35:37 -0500 (CDT)

-----Original Message-----
From: SelbyHort@aol.com <SelbyHort@aol.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
Date: Friday, June 02, 2000 9:47 PM

Dear Friends,

I believe that some clarification on this issue is in order, as there IS in
fact a smaller or several smaller 'clones' of TRUE Monstera deliciosa in
cultivation, in addition to the 'dwarf' plant which looks like a small M.
deliciosa which Pete has kindly I.D.`d as Raphidophora tetrasperma from
Peninsular Malaysia.   The late Dr. Monroe Birdsey had a plant of this
Raphidophora in his collection in Miami, which I believe he did not know the
I.D. of though it was know to have been from Asia.   Dr Tom Croat has
confirmed that he has seen the very large, more well-know var. of M.
deliciosa in only one area of Mexico, on limestone cliffs in the Uxpanapa
region.   He says -- 'Elsewhere most of the populations are smaller, some
perforated and or incised-lobate or not, but not elaborately so.   In
Panama, for example the blades are often not even perforate.   Nevertheless
the inflorescences are the same throughout and there appear to be no major
discontinuities of characteres for all these populations'.   So--there are
plants of smaller ('dwarf'?) Monstera deliciosa around in collections, both
all-green and varigated, and in addition there may be this small species
from Asia, Raphidophora tetrasperma which could be mistaken for a dwarf form
of Monstera deliciosa.

Hope we are clearer on this now!!   Thanks to Tom for the clarification.

Cheers and good growing to all,

>Pete, thanks for the explanation. I checked "Genera of the Araceae" and it
seemed that the number of ovules and placentation were different but I did
not read on further about the seeds. Is Monstera the only genus within the
Monstereae without endosperm?
Donna Atwood

<< Rhaphidophora and Monstera are, indeed, separated on fruit
characteristics. Rhaphidophora has it's seeds (usually many,
occasionally as few as four) arranged in two ranks running up the
walls of the fruit and the mature seeds have endosperm; Monstera
has few seeds (four, occasionally less), arranged in pairs in the
middle of the fruit and the mature seeds lack endosperm.
Fascinating, eh?