Re: Rhaphidophora sp. at Fairchild Tropical Garden

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Rhaphidophora sp. at Fairchild Tropical Garden
  • From: "D. Scherberich" <earmag@cybercable.tm.fr>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 20:53:41 -0500 (CDT)

Dear all,

I have just noticed an interesting point which will help in distinguishing the
two species in question. On the clone of Monstera dubia that I know, as well as
on the one illustrated on the cover of Aroideana vol. 1 issue 2, the area along
the veins are green and the area between them is silvery. Is is exactly the
opposite on this new Rhaphidophora species, it is the veins that are paler than
the rest of the lamina ...

Here is a link to a Monstera dubia photograph:

With best regards,

Jack Honeycutt a *crit :

> At 07:51 PM 6/16/2000 -0500, Craig wrote:
> >At Fairchild Tropical Garden this plant is now growing in the epiphyte room
> >of the Conservatory.
> >  Many visitors have commented that the leaves look
> >painted on to the wall.
> The poor pictures that I posted did not do this strange and exotic plant
> justice. I admit to not knowing a thing about "Shingle" plants, but I have
> never seen such odd looking leaves.  Leaves painted on the wall IS a good
> description!!
> It looked to me like they were growing up a stucco wall.  They were very
> thin, very flat; as flat as they could be against the wall.  I doubt that I
> could slide a piece of paper between the leaves and the wall, or between
> leaves.
> Perhaps you might have some better pictures to post than I.....
> Here is the link to the snapshots that I posted earlier:
> Vine photo (close up) #1:
> http://www.users.uswest.net/~jhoneycutt/child1b.jpg
> Vine photo (close up) #2:
> http://www.users.uswest.net/~jhoneycutt/child2b.jpg
> Vine photo (small, very young leaves) #3:
> http://www.users.uswest.net/~jhoneycutt/child3b.jpg
> Here is the ID tag at Fairchild:
> http://www.users.uswest.net/~jhoneycutt/child4a.jpg
> And here is the link to the photo that Geoffrey posted:
> http://members.aol.com/Geoffaroid/artwork/Rhaphidophora.jpg
> jack in Oregon

David Scherberich
3, rue de la Broque