FW: "accidental epiphyte"

Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 19:45:18 -0400
Subject: FW: "accidental epiphyte"
From: Scott Hyndman <hyndman@aroid.org>
To: <donburns@macconnect.com>
CC: <moffett@uclink4.berkeley.edu>

Don,

Would you please forward this on to Aroid-L?

Thanks, Scott

----------
From: "Dr. Mark W. Moffett" <moffett@uclink4.berkeley.edu>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 16:06:00 -0700
To: hyndman@aroid.org
Subject: "accidental epiphyte"

I am finishing an invited paper for the journal BIOTROPICA on the
terminology of canopy biology. I am wondering whether there is such a
thing as a vine (or similarly a 2ndary hemiepiphyte) that can be an
"accidental epiphyte" by sprouting sometimes in the canopy say in the
soil of a branch crotch, rather than on the ground. In flooded or
innundated forests this might even be common, I should think.

I'm hopeful you can send this question out to the aroid community in
case anyone has seen examples.  This would be a new and interesting type
of behavior.

I'll send the same e-mail to Don Burns in case you are not around.
Would love any thoughts on this.

best,

mark

Mark W. Moffett
respond to: moffett@uclink4.berkeley.edu
University of California at Berkeley, Integrative Biology