Re: Rhaphidophora sp. at Fairchild Tropical Garden

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Rhaphidophora sp. at Fairchild Tropical Garden
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@email.msn.com>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 18:42:18 -0500 (CDT)

-----Original Message-----
From: StellrJ@aol.com <StellrJ@aol.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
Date: Tuesday, June 20, 2000 9:55 PM

In a message dated Tue, 20 Jun 2000  6:13:20 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
"Peter Boyce" <p.boyce@rbgkew.org.uk> writes:

Hello guys,

Back in the 'good old days' of the predecessor of this list on snail mail, I
posted a letter to members pointing out that unlike SOME of the scientists
who name plants in this group of organisms, there were others who did so,
seemingly with a sense of humor, in other groups.   Examples given then were
the Trinidadian cave-living lizard Proctoporus shreevii  (Shreeves 'anus'),
and a genus of cave-living millipedes, given the name
'Caramba'  (Spanish for 'upon my word, or better yet, DAMN!--I am NOT making
this up!!) by the researcher Shear.
The first species he names-- Caramba delburro ('the donkeys damn'), then
came Caramba delnegro (easy on this one!) , then Caramba grandeza (the HUGE
damn!) and finally Caramba enbecausius (because I say DAMN!)
Take heart Pete, with a LITTLE imagination (I can assist with this aspect!)
and some thought to the phallic 'background' to OUR group of plants, the
list of available species epithets is truly mind boggling!

<< Jack

Yes, it is, although are so many new Rhaphs in New Guinea that
I'm running out of specific epithets!

Guess it's time to start getting creative.  (In college, I saw a reference
in one of my textbooks to an insect whose scientific name was Lalapa lusa.)

Jason Hernandez