Re: Lurker?

At 07:43 PM 6/21/2000 -0500, you wrote:

>What is a lurker?  Is that a friendly term?  Sounds unfriendly to me.  Tell
>me I am wrong     Joe

It is a old term (in computer years).  I heard it first in the late 1980's
when it was used to describe folks who would subscribe to news
groups.  They would read, but post very little.  Busy folks who wanted to
keep track of a few different subjects would subscribe, but have little
time to post messages.

Sometimes moderators of mailing lists ask that new folks "lerk" for a few
days to learn the tone and style of the list before posting.

It is not a derogatory term.