Re: cladistics of aroids (was Lemna and other duckweeds)

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: cladistics of aroids (was Lemna and other duckweeds)
  • From: "Eduardo Goncalves" <edggon@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 20:42:23 -0500 (CDT)

Dear Tsuh,

    Yes, there is only one cladogram published for Aroids (whole family). It
concerns analysis of sites for restriction enzimes (i.e. deals with DNA) and
was published by French and collabolators (references bellow). It is more or
less as follows:

    Proto Aroids (Gymnostachis,Orontium, Symplocarpus)
\  /
\/   Monsteroids+Spathiphyllum+Holochlamys+Anthurium+Pothos
  \  /
   \/   Lasioideae
    \  /
     \/   Calla
      \  /
       \/   "Philodendroideae"(Including Zamioculcadeae, Spathicarpeae
        \  /                  Zantedeschia, Montrichardieae...)
         \/
          \
           \
            "Aroideae" (Including Caladieae, Areae, Colocasioideae,
                 Amorphophallus, Lemna, Cryptocorineae...)

There is also a second one that was partially published in "The Genera of
Araceae" by Mayo, Bogner and Boyce, but genera are not showed in details. It
seems it was based mainly on morpho-anatomical features. The final cladogram
seems to be in preparation, to be published by Mayo, Bogner, Boyce, Murata
and Yokoyama. Well, they cite this "future" publication in the references of
"Genera of Araceae". Many others using DNA sequencing are in preparation,
including mine on Spathicarpeae sensu lato (including Dieffenbachia and
Bognera), but most are only partial and I don't know when we will have
another one for the whole family.
                                Best wishes,
                                            Eduardo.