Simple Peace Lilies

  • Subject: Simple Peace Lilies
  • From: "Ron Iles" <roniles@eircom.net>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 10:02:41 -0500 (CDT)

Hi, Al,

Sorry, after the hurrican, am sorting out email backlog!

Delighted that you have now become a Spathiphyllum officianado.  NASA
reported them as having great value in purifying air from nasty organic
pollutants.  If you get a photostat of the 1976 paper it would be good to
have an email scanned copy?  I must get Deni's great Book on Credit Card
on-line if someone knows where.   I also desperately need Exotica IV as soon
as anyone knows a copy surplus to anyone's needs!

In Spathiphyllum, the Spath/Spadix is White or Green and can change from the
former to the second with age, some are always one or the other, sometimes
depending on light intensity  The Spadix seems to emanatw perfume when the
female flower is fertile.   The various forms seem to vary in their subtlety
and intensity.   Some seem to have a "pineapple" scent, the most wonderful
for me, perfume as might bring to the imagination a pure, delicate and
exquisite princess.

Spathes can be as small as one cm in the tiniest 10 cm forms to over 40cms
in the large forms which can grow to 3 or 4 metres in height.   Some are
"white sails", other forms have reflexed spathes.   They are mostly known
from the tropical Americas but a few SO far have been found in in SEAsia.
The ones with delicate leaves are shade swamp plants but the leathery leaved
forms like S. cannaefolium tolerate full sun, which is not say they
necessarily prefer it.  Even bright light plants apparently cannot utilise
intensity above 3000 fcs of the 10,000 fcs of full sunlight.   Peace Lilies
do prefer intensities below 2500.   I do not know the lowest intensity at
which they will flower but if day length is long, probably maybe extremely
low at maybe 5% sunlight or less under artificial light.  In deep shade
leaves are more beautiful deep green.  I could go on forever.  They are a
world unto themselves.    They have a Zen simplicity beyond words.  For me
they are symbols of the Tao, Yin & Yang in balance.  The spirit of the
humble primrose in heavenly white and green.  With noble reason they have
been called PEACE Lilies.

If you are not yet a Member of IAS, please will you join?   There is great
living wealth in our Group.

Ron Iles